We’re an active road cycling club in the Abilene, Texas area. Our goals are to promote cycling and cycling safety awareness in our area, provide a resource for great riding, to help each other improve our skills, and most of all, to have a lot of fun!
If you’re wondering about the name, Steamboat Mountain is east of Buffalo Gap in the Callahan Divide, a feature that runs through several counties in West Central Texas and is the northernmost part of the Hill Country. Steamboat provides the most challenging climbs around here.
Steamboat Cycling sponsors or co-sponsors several events each year:
- The Ride of Silence (3rd Wednesday in May) in memory of those cyclists who have lost their lives on the road.
- Tour de Gap (4th weekend in July) a Texas premiere ride visit Web site
- Biketown-ABC-Steamboat Monthly Time Trials (April through September, 1st Tuesday): 10 mile course
We ride regularly throughout the year. During Daylight Savings Time there are group rides on Monday and Thursday evenings, Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons. Dues are $35 per year. We have club meetings quarterly. Join our Strava group for notices about our regular rides, and like our Facebook page to keep up with events. A printable sheet of ride information is available here. If you’d like to join the club, please submit the form to the right. We’ll send you a PayPal invoice for your membership. We’d love to have you as a member.
- To join Steamboat, please send an email to email@example.com. Our treasurer, Mark Spurlock, will reply and get you set up for your dues payment and answer any questions you may have. Please include in your email:
- Your name
- Cell phone number
- Mailing address
- T-Shirt size (S, M, L, or XL)
- Tell us about your favorite type of riding
- Also by sending the email we are asking you to certify that you are above 18 years of age.
- Thank you for your interest and we look forward to having you as a member!